Translate

Friday 1 March 2013

Lush: Product Review no.2 - Ultrabland


After the flu, I had a problem with red blotchy skin which was getting me kinda down, so, remembering how good their Cosmetic Warrior was for getting rid of my acne, I wandered down to Lush again to ask for their advice.

The salesgirl recommended two products to me: Ultrabland and one I can't even remember the name of. All I can remember is that it reeked of lavender, and the smell of lavender gives me an intense headache.

Ultrabland's key point is that it is a very bland concoction for problematic skin. It's oil-based, so it can't be removed just with water, so you have two options, and I tried them both.

The first one is to use a damp muslin cloth. I thought, well, since this is how I'd been washing my face with Liz Earle (and since I removed my Cosmetic Warrior with a damp cloth just because I find it easier to remove masks that way), I decided I would do that. It kind of works. But, something I didn't notice, was that it was leaving a ring of dirty oil clumps in the sink after draining the water (I filled the sink with water and would soak and wring it out between wipes). Good news is that it ate clean through my make up at the end of the day, something that Liz Earle couldn't always do.

Coincidentally, I noticed the grime it was leaving in the sink around the same time I sprained my ankles, so I decided to go with option two, which is to remove it with toner. I had run out of Liz Earle and wasn't so sure I wanted to use an expensive (Benefit) toner to remove it, so I had bought one of Lush's aromatherapy sprays, especially as the salesgirl said that could only help with my blotchiness.

Removing it in this way requires a lot of cotton and a lot of toner, since Ultrabland really is quite oily (mind you, it doesn't feel bad because it's natural oil and not like... I don't know... pizza grease being rubbed all over your face. After removing it with toner, it still felt oily, so I then followed it up per usual with regular toner and then moisturiser.

This way is fairly effective, and - best of all for little old me with sprained ankles - it doesn't require water so I could do it from the comfort of my own bed.

But all in all, near the end of the pot, I got a bit sick of the oiliness. So I really had to push myself to finish it. It was also about a week past its expiry date by the time I finished it, but it hadn't gone mouldy or started to smell so I figured there was no harm in continuing to use it.

Summary:

  • Oil-based and eats through make up
  • Quite a nice almondy smell
  • Smooth and unoffensive to the skin
  • Bit annoying to remove
  • Lasts a while, and about a week after its expiry date it's still ok
Score: 6/10. Would I recommend? Yes, particularly to people with dry skin or don't have time to moisturise etc in the morning. I ended up using this product at night and during the next day my skin still felt soft and neither dry nor oily.

Will I go back to it? Only as a make-up remover or if I have blotchiness again.


No comments:

Post a Comment